Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sunday Dinner




Just before dinner, Dutch and I were walking home after witnessing a spectacular sunset. We had missed the first part and I was feeling regretful. “Heather,” he said, “relax. There will be another one tomorrow!”

I was quiet for a few moments and then I said, "Have you ever stopped to think how amazing it is that God arranged the universe in such a way that the sun rises and sets every 24 hours? I have been thinking about how repetitive everything is... and I don't mean just because I am taking care of two babies! The repetition is woven into the fabric of the universe, you know? Day follows night follows day, and so on. We wake up hungry and thirsty… so we eat and drink and eat and drink and drink so more. In ten or twelve hours we are so tired we have to lay prostrate for eight hours - or in our cases, five - " I nudged him, smiling, "just so we can wake up and do it all again..."

"When you think about it, it is so obvious," Dutch said, "that God made us to be dependent..."

"Yes, it's as though He ordered everything to remind us that, just as our physical person needs nourishment, so does our spiritual person… But still I spend the better part of every day resisting the obvious. I wake up a tabula rasa - running around trying to accomplish things… and forgetting to take time just to sit at His feet, listening." I sighed heavily. “I don’t know what it will be like in eternity, but I sincerely hope that abiding in Christ won't be such a struggle…”

“Well," Dutch said, “in eternity there is no night. Christ is the sun and He illumines everything…”

His matter-of-fact application of what has always seemed, to me, an ethereal Scriptural passage caused every hair on my head to stand suddenly on end.






"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."
~Revelation 21.23




**For dinner we had steak and Ina Garten's Roasted Shrimp Cocktail**







No comments: