Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Like You Because I Don't Know Why

I purchased this book for Dutch on July the 6th 2005, our 3rd anniversary. Tonight - after tucking Audrey and Evie into bed - it was my choice of a bedtime story.

I'll admit, I was feeling a little sorry for myself.

Audrey didn't nap today; and is battling a cold. I can count on one hand the number of times I have slept more than 3 hours at a time in the last 9 weeks. And to top it all off, Dutch is at work... and has been, it seems to me, for days on end.

You'll understand, then, what joy it was, what timeliness, to revisit this familiar passage:

“I like you because because because
I forget why I like you
But I do

On the fourth of july I like you
Because it’s the fourth of july

On the fifth of july
I like you too
Even if it was the nine hundred and
ninety-ninth of july
even if it was august

I would go on choosing you
And you would go on choosing me
Over and over again

That’s how it would happen every time
I don’t know why

I guess I don’t know why I really like you
Why do I like you

I guess I just like you

Because I like you."











On that note I feel compelled to write Dutch a little 'goodnight' poem of my own:


Dear Dutch:

You have been working way too hard
Here at home, we’re feeling starved…
We’re missing your laughter, affection, and face
But we will survive because of God’s grace.
When you crawl into bed, don’t wake me up;
I’m tired, you see, and enough is enough!
I’ll cheer up tomorrow – I promise! You’ll see!
And then you’ll remember…why you like me!

Love, Your Wife

No comments: