Friday, July 24, 2009

Surprise Face



Pop was not expecting to enjoy the (shall I say) privilege of meeting his newest grandchild, Evangeline Grace, nor the unprecedented perk of having the weekend revolve entirely around him … completely and entirely!

Being her always-set-on-realism-Irish-self, Mom had told him in the car on the way to the airport, “Set your expectations low.”

He did.

But after arriving on an American Airlines flight into Tucson, sampling a slice of chocolate cake, and holding the ever-so-cuddlesome-Evie in his arms, his expression changed from tiresome to tickled.

I asked whether he was enjoying himself. “Are you kidding?” he said. “I was setting my sights on the dunk tank at the county fair. This is better by far than anything I could have imagined!”

No comments: