Monday, October 11, 2010

The Princess and the Peacoat



Her chilliness toward all male articles of clothing - sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets, pants - has been one of her prominent characteristics for some time: "I can't wear that Mommy, because, because, be-cause - I'm sorry but, I'm a girl." I was taken aback to realize that even socks were included in the ban. "Socks are for daddies," she explained, shrugging and squinting and tipping her head sideways. "Of course!" I retorted. "How could I have been so thoughtless?" (Though it is hard for me to imagine life without my argyles.)

But this evening, when I brought home a brand-new "winter" peacoat from Beppe, her moratorium began to thaw. She slid her supple arms into the shimmering red sleeves, buttoned it up to her chin, and begged me not to take a picture. Naturally, I complied, as I understand the need for "priver-seat," even when you're three, however I found it impossible to restrain myself the moment after she'd fallen asleep.

2 comments:

KillerB said...

Ohhh, she's such a little doll!

lindsaybrooke said...

oh I love love love this. The story behind it makes it priceless. Well done mommy, busting out the camera despite "priver-seat" but in the name of preserving such sweetness.